São Marcelo Fort
Located in the middle of All Saints’ Bay and formerly called Fort of Our Lady of Pópulo and known as Forte do Mar (Sea Fort), São Marcelo Fort started as a triangular bastion, built in wood in the beginning of the 17th century, on a reef in the entrance of the port of Salvador.
After the Dutch invasion in 1624, it was rebuilt in stone masonry and acquired its circular to protect the center of the colonial city against foreigner maritime attacks. The fort became an impressive military building and was responsible for the protection of the port, besides the integration of the fortification net that defended the biggest of the Americas’ city from the Dutch invasions and pirates. In the end of the 18th century it served as a prison for undisciplined students and important historical characters, like the leader of the Tailors’ Rebellion, Cipriano Barata, and the general Bento Gonçalves.
How to get there:
The fort is in front of the pier and Modelo Market, however, it’s temporally closed to the public.