Founded in 1560 from what used to be an Indian village catechized by the Jesuits, Camamu is one of the oldest cities in Brazil. The town has a rich architectural heritage and one of the biggest churches in Bahia’s countryside, the "Matriz de Nossa Senhora da Assunção", built in the 18th century. It is located in front of a bay full of mangroves.
Camamu follows the Portuguese-Brazilian tradition of being divided into two different cities: the upper city and the lower city. The port is situated in the lower city and in the upper city there is a belvedere.