Between 1670 and 1680, Francisco Dias de Ávila Pereira II started a cattle farm where the Grande River flows into São Francisco River. Located at the mouth of that river branch, it soon became known as Barra do Rio Grande Farm.
The city of Barra supplied soldiers to combat the insurrections in the states of Pernambuco and Maranhão, jointly with Campo Largo and Santa Rita, its satellites. Between 1891 and 1912, the influence of the city of Barra, a commercial and social center, was accentuated due to its geographical position, which made it an obligatory way for those traveling along São Francisco River and was also a transit point for the cattle from the states of Goiás, Piauí and also Maranhão.
The city of Barra retains the importance of the colonial times, the Empire and the beginning of the Republic. Barra will always be a reference in the history of Bahia’s sertão. The economy of the city is generated by three main segments: cattle, commerce and services.